Annabel Lawrence is the founder of innovative, modern catering company Green Fig, providing exceptional catering for both corporate and private events. She provides a weekly drop and go service in Putney, Wimbledon, Barnes and Sheen. Still operating during COVID-19. Contact her for her weekly menu.
Chermoula Chicken and Jewelled Rice
As we leap into autumn, this tasty dish is ready to keep you toasty, bringing together the warmth of spices with a mouthwatering Moroccan flavour. This recipe for Chermoula Chicken and Jewelled Rice has been deliciously brought to us by Decorcafe Expert Annabel Lawrence from Green Fig.
Green Fig is also offering a local catering delivery service! Join the mailing list by contacting email@example.com, then each week on a Sunday the menu for that week gets sent out, orders in By Tuesday at 1pm, delivery on a Friday, food ready to heat up – that’s it! We have included a taste menu at the bottom of this recipe, so be sure to check it out.
Components for the Dish:
4 Chicken breasts – Supremes with the bone in and skin on are ideal
Crisp Fried Onion
Chermoula Sauce: Ingredients
3/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 garlic cloves
160ml extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 whole red chillli with seeds
50ml fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 large bunch coriander leaves with stems
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large bunch parsley leaves with stems
1 small bunch mint leaves
Chermoula Sauce: Method
1. Wash and shake the herbs to remove any grit
2. Toast the coriander and cumin seeds in a pan, tossing occasionally until brown and fragrant (approx 2min.)
3. Place all the ingredient apart from the parsley, coriander and mint in a food processor/blender and blend till almost smooth. Now add the herbs and blend until the herbs are incorporated, but not completely smooth.
4. Marinate the chicken breasts and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. You can leave the chicken for longer as it will only develop stronger flavour.
5. While the rice is cooking you can start cooking your chicken. Simply seal both sides in a frying pan and place in the oven skin side up at 180•c for about 18-22 min depending on size of your chicken.
Harissa Yogurt: Ingredients
200ml Greek style yogurt
2 tsp Belazu rose harissa
Harissa Yogurt: Method
Simply mix the two together and serve alongside your finished dish.
Jewelled Rice: Ingredients
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp olive oil
3 cardamom pods
1 bay leaf
1⁄2 cinnamon stick
100g basmati rice, rinsed and drained
50g cooked puy lentils (we use pre cooked Merchant gourmet)
1 heaped tbsp pomegranate seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 onions, finely sliced
Jewelled Rice: Method
1.Melt butter and 1⁄2 tbsp oil in small saucepan, then fry cardamom, bay and cinnamon for 2 mins.
2. Stir in rice to toast for 1 min, then cover with 200ml water. Bring to the boil, cover, then turn heat down and simmer for 5 mins. Once almost all the water has been absorbed by the rice, turn off the heat add the lentils and sit for 5 mins.
3. Meanwhile, fry cumin seeds, onions and some salt in the remaining oil until golden and beginning to crisp – this will take around 15 mins. Then spread onions on kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
4. To serve, remove whole spices if you like, and scatter the onions and pomegranate on top (reserve some for garnish if you wish.)
Plating Up THE Chermoula Chicken and Jewelled Rice Recipe
Spoon some of the jewelled rice into a bowl, cut the chicken in 1⁄2 lengthways or leave it whole and lean against the rice. Scatter some crispy onion and pomegranate over the top and finish with a dollop of the harissa yogurt.
Green Fig – Delivery Service