Did you know that your phone has more processing power than the computers used to land Apollo 11 on the moon? Sylvie Garvey of Computer Fitness shares her top tips to unleash the power of the iPhone you hold in your hands:
- To scroll to the top of your screen, all you need to do is tap the clock at the top, and you’ll be instantly taken back to the beginning of the list. This works on nearly any page where you’ve scrolled down whether it be email, a page in Safari, music, etc.
- You can swipe down on any screen in your iPhone to access search. Oh, and don’t swipe down from the very top of the screen, or you’ll get the Notification Centre.
- Be aware that Safari can automatically fill out web forms using your Contact info, previous names and passwords, and credit card details. You can toggle these AutoFill options individually from Settings > Safari > Passwords > AutoFill.
- Open the Health app and tap Medical ID in the bottom right. Next tap Edit in the upper right corner. You will be taken to a screen where you can enter important emergency medical information like any medical conditions you might have.
- Be aware of what you are sharing. Open Settings> Privacy > Location Services. When Location Services is active, a purple or grey arrow icon appears in the status bar.
- Turn Airdrop Off if you are not using it to avoid receiving unwanted photos.
- Avoid typing out your email address 100s of times. Enter a Text Replacement Shortcut for email address, signature or for quick response on text message. Go to General>Keyboard>Text Replacement
- Add a website to your Home screen. Open the website and tap the Share icon at the bottom of your screen. Tap Add to Home Screen. Add website to home screen. Name the icon and tap Add in the top right corner. Now you can access your favourite site quickly and easily from the Home screen.
- When typing texts or emails, a double tap of the spacebar will give you a full stop and when typing, if you double tap the shift button everything you type will be caps until you turn off caps lock by tapping the shift button once more.
- Your iPhone has a built-in Spirit Level. To get to the spirit level, open the compass app. Though not immediately obvious, there’s a second page to the app; swipe to the left, and you’ll be at Apple’s level. Double-tapping the screen resets the level to consider whatever angle the phone is currently at to be 0°.